two slices of bread (I chose wheat for health reasons)
grated cheddar cheese
2 tsp. ground mustard
salt & pepper to taste
a small baking dish
1. Pre-heat the oven to 345
2. Butter both sides of the bread, cut off the crust, and then cube
3. butter or spray (with a little bit of oil) your small baking dish and line the bottom with the bread cubes
4. Sprinkle with the shredded cheddar cheese
5. In a separate dish whisk two eggs, milk, mustard powder, salt, and pepper together. Pour mixture over the bread cubes making sure the bread soaks up the liquids.
6. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the edges are brown and crunchy.
*note- this recipe also works great as a french toast base. Just substitute cheese and mustard for vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Equally delicious!
As a bonus, I leave you with a picture of my National Archives kitchen find—Rulers of the Kitchen. Yes, that is my beloved Julia Child's face and a breakdown of "rulers" of the kitchen on it. I couldn't resist.
Have a great week!